T'WERK.

(Art installation; Artist Unknown)

And by t'werk I mean to work. This week literally has had me pinned to my (now broken) desk frantically jotting down notes and organizing my ideas. TGIF. I've got a few projects on the go that I'm excited to share with you in the weeks to come. 

With all the running around (and being a mother and what not) I've had to adopt a bit more structure to my weekly working regime. Sometimes, since I tend to live inside my head a lot, I get a bit stressed and have developed a few 'tips' that help me take it down a notch when I feel overwhelmed.
...

1. Meditate. I've always had problems with meditation. Until recently. I'm by no means a Yogi or anything but I recently received some advice that really changed the way I practice meditation. A friend (haay Kehinde) essentially told me to fuck what everyone says (thats what you said...right? haha) about the 'rules' of mediation and do it in a way that feels right to you specifically.  He said something that really resonated with me about repeating the mantra 'I am being extremely kind to myself'. This really gave me some clarity. I started with five minutes (found it difficult, but I did it!). A few minutes of time spent with yourself? Super refreshing. Almost like hitting the reset button. Focus, and be extremely kind to yourself. Isn't that all mediation really is? 

2. Create a Monthly Calendar. Jot down all the crap you need to get done somewhere visible. This one's pretty straight forward. Once each task has been completed, check it off. By the end of the month, you're calendar (should hopefully) be filled with check marks. Nothing more motivating than a visible reminder of how much you've accomplished.

3. Listen to music. I know this sounds super obvious. I stopped listening to music for a while because I was finding it distracting. Then I realized its the type of music that was the distraction (Trap music for instance while writing wasn't really working out. Half way through the second song i'd completely abandoned by desk. I'm out here shakin' my locks and folding clothes. Do you catch my drift?). Listen to something that matches the pace of what you're doing. That way it won't break your concentration. 

4. Find out when you work best and make an effort. I'm a morning person. I love mornings. My idea day starts between 6:30 and 7:00am with a hot cup of tea and a clear workspace. This usually doesn't happen. Why? because I'm getting to bed far to late and spending too much time on the wrong things. Like Love and Hip Hop for example. That show is my effing kryptonite. Ask me how many nights I've been up 'till 3:00am watching back to back episodes? Actually, don't.

Happy Friday!










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

INSTAGRAM: BALEXANDRAA
EMAIL: BIANCALEXANDRAA{AT}GMAIL.COM

Blogroll